Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

The Watch (2012)


If you haven't already noticed by some of my other posts, I am somewhat of a Jonah Hill fan. For this reason alone I decided to go see the new movie he is starring in alongside Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn titled The Watch. I have to say that I did not find this movie to be as funny as I had hoped it would be. I feel that the movie was filmed well but the plot was subject to awkward timing. You may be able to thank Seth Rogen for this as he is credited as one of the writers of this movie. Yes, this movie is indeed a comedy, but there were certain elements in the script that I just didn't feel like laughing about. For instance, Jonah Hill plays a high school drop out who is obsessed with weapons and is easily influenced by others. To add to this, Vince Vaughn's character seems to undermine every critical situation that arises by incorporating alcohol into it. If these two elements together aren't enough to make you want to stop laughing; add in the fact that Vince Vaughn has had some experience playing extremely violent characters in some of his previous movies; premeditated murderers to be exact. Who knows what a high school dropout with access to assault weapons and a possible grudge with the police is capable of doing under the influence of a character like Vince Vaughn's? With this running through my mind, I just kept wondering about how his character was going to react with and influence the other characters throughout the film; and if there were going to be any unexpected plot twists. There was also some sexual humor that just made me think twice about laughing and added to the awkward timing of the plot.

All in all, I must say that the actors seemed to show that they were capable of taking this movie into a totally different direction, which I find to be rather interesting. It also may be a good reason to rent The Watch when it comes out on DVD. However, with all of the other alien movies that have already been released this summer, I wouldn't advise you to rush into theaters to see this movie anytime soon. As for the actors of this film, I am definitely interested to see what type of roles they will playing in future projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment